By Chris Olsen
This holiday season, SoGal Ventures—the first female-founded and led millennial venture capital firm—developed a strategic partnership with Macy’s to launch its SoGifted concept in select markets. Shoppers in Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Las Vegas, New York City and San Antonio have the opportunity to find unique gift items from female-founded small businesses at their local Macy’s through January 31. If all goes well, the concept could expand to additional markets in the future.
The SoGifted shops feature brands in the SoGal Ventures community and include:
- Bon Temps: Enjoy stress-free sips by avoiding plastics and bleaches, with Bon Temps biodegradable, non-toxic tea bags made of non-GMO corn. Better for you and for the planet.
- Ettitude: Sustainable sleep essentials made of the world’s first CleanBamboo—an eco-friendly, breathable and hypoallergenic fabric that feels feathery soft against your skin.
- HidrateSpark: The smarter solution for staying hydrated—a Bluetooth enabled water bottle that tracks your daily water intake and helps you set achievable hydration goals.
- Laqa and Co. (Herald Square Only): Laga & Co. goes beyond beauty to perfect your pucker with superfood charged formulations—like its bold avocado oil infused lipsticks.
- Lovevery: Designed by experts for your child’s developing brain. Lovevery does all the research so you don’t have to and creates beautiful, sustainably crafted toys and learning tools to support your child’s development at every stage.
- Neely and Chloe: High quality, well-priced accessories that are equal parts pretty, practical and perfect arm candy for your next party.
- OK Jewelry: Celebrating individuality through fashion-forward jewelry that stands for ‘one kind,’ empowering you to make a personal style statement.
- Quirktastic: Making it easier than ever to make friends with people who share your love of all things geek, from comic conventions and Trekkie times to anime.
- Sheertex: Unbreakable hosiery that are equal parts invincible and invisible—in other words the unseen hero of your every day.
- Skin Inc.: Beauty meets technology with Skin Inc. targeted My Daily Dose serums that can be customized to your specific needs and help you easily achieve perfect dewy skin.
- TomboyX: Created with the belief everybody has an equal right to eco-friendly, comfortable underwear and makes easy, size and gender inclusive styles that are anything but basic.
SoGal Ventures was founded by Elizabeth Galbut and Pocket Sun in 2016. The pair are fiercely dedicated to the power of diversity, borderless business and human-centric design. According to Galbut, their mission is to build a firm that embodies the cultural values that they want to see in the world. “With the partnership at Macy’s we’re taking this a step further and giving in-store shoppers across the country an opportunity to discover and support female-led small business brands—so the next generation of women can be empowered to know that entrepreneurship is within their reach,” said Galbut.
SoGifted is also made possible through Macy’s ongoing partnership with b8ta, operator of the Ark Marketplace platform that allows brands that traditionally haven’t operated stores to quickly set up new physical retail operations. The b8ta-powered experience enabled SoGal’s range of entrepreneurs to activate at Macy’s within a matter of weeks.
Macy’s, Inc. is the largest retail brand and delivers quality fashion at affordable prices to customers at approximately 640 locations in 43 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam, as well as to customers in more than 100 international destinations through macys.com.
About the author: Chris Olsen is a radio veteran turned communications consultant, educator and author of “Whyography: Building a Brand Fueled by Purpose.” Through her work as a consultant partnering with startups, Chris realized her WHY—to support women-owned businesses in confidently communicating their purpose and impact, setting them up for entrepreneurial success. She created My Founder Story as a platform for doing so.