By Chris Olsen
Many manufacturers rely on trade shows to meet potential buyers and get the word out about their products. Melanie Cole and Vicky DeRouchey, creators of UGO Wear waterproof phone and tablet cases, were devastated when they learned spring boat and marine shows were cancelled due to the current global health crisis. A significant portion of their revenue is directly connected to the ability to participate in these shows.
As the women discussed the financial impact on their industry, they decided to take action. They developed a plan to raise awareness for marine-related brands while at the same time raising money for a worthy cause. The Nineteen for 19 fundraising campaign launches on April 19 with a goal of raising $19,000 for Modest Needs Foundation, a nonprofit that provides emergency relief for individuals and families in need.
Here’s how it works: Make a $19 donation to the Modest Needs Foundation through the donation page and you’ll be entered to win a collection of marine-related merchandise donated by 19 companies. In addition to UGO Wear, seven of the companies were founded by women, including Colby Davis of Boston, Jackie Gallagher Designs, Pretty Rugged Gear, MarinaLife, Talii Towels, Salt N Ray and The Boat Galley.
The package is valued at over $3,000 and includes some of the best marine gear and accessories on the market. Double your donation to Modest Needs Foundation to $38 and you receive a limited edition long sleeve performance shirt as a gift.
The 19 companies participating have contributed these items:
- 727 Sailbags: Recycled sailcloth bag (retail value $200)
- Back Chair Bag: Two Back Chair bags (retail value $99)
- Colby Davis of Boston: Colby Davis Necklace (retail value $150)
- Connley Fishing: 7-foot carbon fiber series inshore graphite spinning rod (retail value $199)
- Glidecoat: Gift certificate (retail value $500)
- Hydro-Shield: Hydro-Shield or large Hydro-Shield (retail value $189)
- Jackie Gallagher Designs: Explore.Dream.Discover necklace (retail value $60)
- Mang Gear: Mang Gear bundle (retail value $8)
- Manta Racks: SUP wall racks (retail value $229)
- Mantus Marine: Waterproof headlamp (retail value $92)
- MarinaLife: Two Cruising Club memberships (retail value $100)
- Ocean-Tamer Marine Bean Bags: Medium long neck marine bean bag (retail value $140)
- One Last Cast: Razorback men’s fishing jersey, walleye long sleeve (retail value $89)
- Pretty Rugged Gear: Lux lap blanket (retail value $150)
- Salt N Rays: Four Sol wrap towels (retail value $148)
- Shore Boards: 39-inch twin longboard (retail value $299)
- Talii Towels: Six personalized bath sheets (retail value $200
- The Boat Galley: The Boat Galley Cookbook (retail value $38)
- UGO Wear, UGO Signature Collection tablet case (retail value $159)
For more information or to donate to Nineteen for 19, visit http://ugowear.crowdchange.co/covid19fundraiser.
About the author: Chris Olsen is a radio veteran turned communications consultant, educator and author of “Whyography: Building a Brand Fueled by Purpose”. Through her work as a consultant partnering with startups, Chris realized her WHY—to support womxn-owned businesses in confidently communicating their purpose and impact, setting them up for entrepreneurial success. She created My Founder Story as a platform for doing so.